I was blinded by my contact lens


"It was like looking through a foggy bathroom mirror"

 

When Irenie Ekkeshis's eye started to itch she assumed it would soon settle down. It didn't. Before long, she found herself in excruciating pain and lost her sight in that eye. And the cause may have been nothing more than handling her contact lenses with wet fingers.

Within days she was told she had Acanthamoeba Keratitis (AK), a rare but serious eye infection caused by a micro-organism that's common in tap water, sea water and swimming pools.

The illness affects about 125 people in the UK every year - and the vast majority of cases are associated with the use of contact lenses.

"I hadn't had a shower or gone swimming in my lenses," Ekkeshis says. "But I learned that even washing your hands and not drying them properly before handling lenses can cause it."

 

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39568781